As of April 15, 2019, or earlier, when preparing a sponsored project proposal budget, calculations for the sponsor's contribution to employee fringe benefits should be computed using UMD’s approved Fringe Benefit Rates, found on page 3 of the current F&A agreement. Any deficit occurring as a result of underestimating these benefit rates must be covered by transfers from other budget categories in the Grant/Contract or from the departmental/College unrestricted funds.
Tuition Remission is also a fringe benefit of UMD employees, but is not included in the Fringe Benefit Rates calculation. When an employee will be utilizing the Tuition Remission benefit, the follow estimates will apply. Tuition Remission is exempt from UMD F&A.
Tuition Remission Estimates (Fall 2020 and Spring 2021)
Full-time Permanent Employees
- Not to exceed 8 credits for the Spring and Fall semesters, not to exceed 4 credits for Winter Term, and not to exceed 8 credits hours total for the Summer Sessions for undergraduate and graduate level courses.
- Tuition remission is credited at the prevailing standard in-state credit hour rate at the time the class is taken. Some programs have higher credit hour rates or flat fee pricing. The tuition remission benefit does not cover the difference.
- Undergraduate: For Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, the tuition remission rate is $367 per credit hour.
- Graduate: For Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, the tuition remission rate is $731 per credit hour
Part-time Permanent Employees - proportional to percentage of service (must be at least 50%)
- Part-time permanent employees are eligible for tuition remission equivalent to those of a full time regular employee, but prorated to the employee’s percentage of service (must be at least 50%).
Full-time Graduate Assistants
- Up to 10 credits in the spring and fall academic semesters, up to 4 credits in winter at $731 per credit hour
- Graduate students with a 9.5 month appointment must have a summer appointment to be eligible for a total of 8 credits in the summer sessions.
- Graduate students with a 12 month appointment are eligible for 8 credits in summer sessions.
Part-time Graduate Assistants
- 5 credit hours in the spring and fall academic semesters and 2 credits in winter term at $731 per credit hour.
- Part-time Graduate assistants with a 9.5 month appointment must have a summer appointment to be eligible for 4 summer credits.
- Part-time Graduate assistants with a 12 month appointment are eligible for 4 summer credits.